What guidelines should I follow?
By accessing or using the MCG JISCMail list, you accept and agree to the MCG JISCMail guidelines. This is not a legal contract between you and the MCG, and should only be observed as a guide to conduct. Disputes, concerns and feedback on these guidelines should be sent to email@example.com.
- The MCG committee has the right, but not the obligation, to regulate content and conduct by any user and to enforce these guidelines.
- Please note that posts to the list cannot be deleted or modified once distributed to members’ accounts.
- The MCG does not control, is not responsible for and is not represented by user content.
- You are responsible for any content that you post and are responsible for all content posted or transmitted through or by use of your account.
- You are responsible for assessing the safety of following any external links in MCG discussion messages.
- List members come from a huge variety of backgrounds. To reach the widest possible audience, please expand acronyms and provide short definitions for discipline-specific jargon.
- Job, paid internship and volunteer post advertisements are permitted. We believe that internships and volunteer roles can benefit the sector and individuals, but in order to support valuable diversity in the museum sector, internships offered should meet the Museums Association guidelines for internships. You may also wish to check your position description against UCL’s Internships, Work Experience and Volunteering Policy.
- Calls for papers and notices of conferences are permitted once or twice per event. If your conference title contains an acronym, please spell it out so that people new to it have a sense of the topic. Notices of commercially-run training and courses are permitted where they clearly meet the needs of building capacity in the sector.
- We understand that some of our list members provide commercial services to the museum sector and that sometimes your commercial projects or services may be relevant to list discussions. Please refer to the JISCMail Acceptable Use policies for their policies on posting and please don’t use posts to the list as an opportunity to recite your CV or your latest clients.
- We also ask that you don’t advertise commercial services (yours or otherwise) without invitation, by which we mean promotion of a paid-for product or service outside the context of discussions of relevant products or services. If a user asks for examples of “product X”, you may share information about a product you are or are not affiliated with. We understand that judgements about ‘commercial posts’ can be subjective, but as a guide, any list post should add more value to the wider membership than to a commercial entity. For example, an ad might say, ‘We’ve done a thing like [the topic being discussed], contact me to find out what we know’ where a helpful post might say ‘We’ve done a thing like [the topic being discussed], here’s what we learnt/tried…’
- The MCG is not responsible for user conduct. You are solely responsible for your interaction with other members of the list.
- Please post content only on your own behalf, and not for any third party.
- Do not post content by any automated means. Users must post all content personally and manually.
- Make sure you have the right to share or distribute information and content on the list which, for these purposes, should be considered public. This onus is on you and not on the MCG.
Use of data
- The collection of MCG users’ personal information (including, but not limited to email addresses, IP addresses and telephone numbers) is not allowed for any purpose.
By participating in the MCG list, you are also bound by the JISCMail policies and JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy. JISCMail also suggest list etiquette. We ask that you refer to the JISCMail Acceptable Use policies for guidance on posting, particularly:
- JISCMail does not allow spam, junk mail, chain letters or other unsolicited bulk email, commercial or otherwise, on any list
- The posting of unsolicited commercial or advertising material is not allowed
- Messages sent to JISCMail lists should be courteous and appropriate, and should not disrupt the flow of discussion on a list.
If you do not want to accept these guidelines, you may reject them by ceasing all access and use of the MCG JISCMail list.